Rinse’s resident junglist offers a chronology of the genre that started it all.
Rinse FM began life as a jungle station, and the breakbeat-fueled sound is at the heart of what it would later champion: UK garage, grime, dubstep and UK funky. For Rinse 20, Uncle Dugs (Rinse’s only dedicated old skool DJ) mixed 21 of the genre’s most important tracks, charting its inception all the way to the beginnings of drum-and-bass.
Uncle Dugs managed Rinse FM from 1999 to 2005, returning in 2011 to DJ his jungle and hardcore show. His dedication and love of these old skool sounds will certainly come through in the mix. “I’ve never found music that’s buzzed me like the hardcore, the acid house, the jungle stuff, from the mid-late 80s and the mid-late 90s,” he says. “There’s nothing that’s ever done that to me again. I’ve never lost the buzz for it I found the day I went to my first rave. The minute I found it, that was me, forever.”
Listen to the proto-jungle of Lennie De Ice’s ‘We Are I.E.’ and check out the tracklisting below. Rinse 20 is out September 24.
01. Lennie De Ice – We Are I.E.
02. Code 071 – A London Sumtin
03. Bodysnatch – Euphony (Kuff Mix)
04. The Criminal Minds – Baptized By Dub
05. D’Livin – Why – D’Livin
06. Noise Factory – Set Me Free (Remix)
07. X Project – Walking In The Air (Mix 3)
08. Noise Factory – Can You Feel The Rush
09. Nookie – Gonna Be Alright (Cloud 9 Remix)
10. Origin Unknown – Valley Of The Shadows (Long Dark Remix)
11. Slipmatt – Breaking Free
12. Leviticus – Burial
13. Conquering Lion – Dub Plate Special (Ruff Cut)
14. Conquering Lion – Code Red (Wild Apache Mix)
15. Alex Reece – Pulp Fiction
16. Andy C – Roll On
17. Jo – R Type
18. Andy C & Shimon – Quest
19. DJ Phantasy – 44 Mag
20. Shy FX – Bambaata
21. The Fugees – Ready Or Not (Zinc Remix)