A new David Bowie box set will chronicle the Thin White Duke’s early years.
Five Years 1969 – 1973 is the first in a new series of career retrospective box sets, due out through Parlophone Records later this year.
The 10-album, 12-disc collection focuses on Bowie’s first releases. It includes newly remastered versions of David Bowie (AKA Space Oddity), The Man Who Sold The World, Hunky Dory, and PinUps alongside reissues of Aladdin Sane and The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars.
The collection also features the first-ever pressing of the 2003 mix of The Rise and Fall Of Ziggy Stardust, which was previously only available on the DVD for the 40th anniversary of the album. Two live albums are also included.
Perhaps the most interesting element of the box set is a new compilation of singles, non-album cuts and b-sides entitled Re:Call 1. The new compilation features an unreleased single version of ‘All The Madmen’ as well as the rare original version of ‘Holy Holy’.
Five Years 1969 – 1973 is available on vinyl and CD formats, with the CD edition printed on gold discs. Both editions come packaged with photo books, producer notes, vintage reviews, and a foreward written by The Kinks’ Ray Davies.
Five Years 1969 – 1973 will be released on September 25 via Parlophone Records. [via CoS]
Re:Call 1 Tracklist:
01. Space Oddity (original UK mono single edit) *
02. Wild Eyed Boy From Freecloud (original UK mono single version) *
03. Ragazzo Solo, Ragazza Sola
04. The Prettiest Star (original mono single version) *
05. Conversation Piece*
06. Memory Of A Free Festival (Part 1)
07. Memory Of A Free Festival (Part 2)
08. All The Madmen (mono single edit) * previously unreleased
09. Janine *
10. Holy Holy (original mono single version)* only ever issued on original ‘71 Mercury single
11. Moonage Daydream (The Arnold Corns single version) *
12. Hang On To Yourself (The Arnold Corns single version) *
01. Changes (mono single version) *
02. Andy Warhol (mono single version) *
03. Starman (original single mix)
04. John, I’m Only Dancing (original single version)
05. The Jean Genie (original single mix)
06. Drive-In Saturday (German single edit)
07. Round And Round
08. John, I’m Only Dancing (sax version)
09. Time (U.S. single edit)
11. Holy Holy (Spiders version)
12. Velvet Goldmine
* = Mono versions