Cultures Of Soul will shine a spotlight on Boston’s fertile 70s jazz scene with a new release out this week.
The Boston Creative Jazz Scene contains a new 80-page book and a double LP collecting rare highlights stretching from 1970 to 1982. As the label explains in the press release, many of the pieces were taken from extremely limited private press records collected by Mark Harvey (whose own music is also featured).
The music spans Arnie Cheatham’s funky jazz on ‘Thing’ to the deep free jazz of the Phill Musra Group and spoken word from Worlds – check out the tracklist below and hear audio samples of all the tracks on Cultures of Soul. The record is out today and available to order from the label.
1. The Mark Harvey Group – For Margot
2. The Mark Harvey Group – Tarot: The Moon
3. Thing – Sketch Pts. 1 & 2
4. Thing – Road Through The Wall Pts. 2 & 3
5. The Phill Musra Group – The Creator Is So Far Out
6. The Phill Musra Group – Egypt
7. Worlds’ – 9 Degrees Black Women Liberation
8. Stanton Davis’ Ghetto Mysticism – Play Sleep
9. Baird Hersey With Dave Leibman – The Year OfThe Ear: Herds & Hoards